Bible Study Tools
Common Questions -
Let The Bible Speak
Daily Bible Reading
Submit A Question
Review Past Questions
Sermon Audio Archive
What Must I Do To Be Saved?
FROM: 12/8/02 Radio Program
What is the difference between the Baptist church and the church of Christ?
There are many differences between the church of Christ and the Baptist Church. For instance:
- Origin: The church of Christ originated with Christ (Matthew 16:18).The Baptist Church was founded in 1607
by John Smythe.
- Designation: We find "churches of Christ" in the Bible (Romans 16:16). Yet, there is no mention of Baptist
Churches in the Bible.
- Entrance Requirements: In order to be added to the Lord's church or the church of Christ, one must become
a Christian, through faith in Christ, repentance of sins, and being baptized for the remission of sins (Acts 2:36-38,
47). The Baptist Church says that if one believes and has a "salvation experience" then he is saved. After such, one
goes before the Baptist Church in town, and tells them of his "experience," afterward he is voted on and accepted
as a member of that Baptist Church.
- Worship: The church of Christ worships according to Scriptural teaching such as is taught in Acts 2:42,
20:7; I Corinthians 16:1-2; and Ephesians 5:19. We sing praises to God, give of our means upon the first day of
the week, partake of the Lord's Supper on the first day of the week, have a time for teaching, and offer prayers
to the God of Heaven. The Baptist Church adds mechanical instruments to their singing, they collect money in
other ways and on other days than the first day of the week, and sometimes do not partake of the Lord's Supper
for weeks or months at a time.
- Organization: When the New Testament speaks of organization in a local church, we read of elders,
deacons, and saints (Philippians 1:1). Qualifications for elders and deacons are found in I Timothy 3:1-13; Titus
1:5-9. Qualifications for saints are found in such passages as Acts 2:38, for a saint is simply a Christian. Yet,
Baptist Churches do not have such an organization.
These are but a few of the differences between us. May we all strive to just follow what the Bible says, and
leave the whims and wishes of man out of it. (Col. 3:17; I Pet. 4:11).
Back to Radio Program Questions - Answers